Specialising in dark fantasy and horror, Angela Slatter is the author of the Aurealis Award-winning The Girl with No Hands and Other Tales, the World Fantasy Award finalist Sourdough and Other Stories, and the Aurealis finalist Midnight and Moonshine (with Lisa L. Hannett).
Angela’s short stories have appeared in such writerly venues as The Mammoth Book of New Horror #22, Fantasy, Nightmare and Lightspeed Magazines, Lady Churchill’s Rosebud Wristlet, Fearie Tales, A Book of Horrors, Steampunk II: Steampunk Reloaded, and Australian and US Best Of anthologies.
She is the first Australian to win a British Fantasy Award (for “The Coffin-Maker’s Daughter” in A Book of Horrors, Stephen Jones, ed.).
In 2013 she was awarded one of the inaugural Queensland Writers Fellowships. She has an MA and a PhD in Creative Writing, and is a graduate of Clarion South 2009 and the Tin House Summer Writers Workshop 2006.
Forthcoming in 2014 are the collections The Bitterwood Bible and Other Recountings (a prequel to Sourdough and Other Stories) from Tartarus Press, and The Female Factory (with Lisa L. Hannett), the last in the Twelfth Planet Press “Twelve Planets” series.
Angela has recently finished an urban fantasy novel Vigil, (based on the short story Brisneyland by Night) and has started the sequel, Corpselight. She is also completing work on her Queensland Writers Fellowship mosaic novel, The Tallow-Wife and Other Tales.
- 2012 British Fantasy Award for Best Short Story: “The Coffin-Maker’s Daughter”.
- 2010 Aurealis Award for Best Collection: The Girl with No Hands and Other Tales.
- 2010 Aurealis Awards Best Fantasy Short Story: “The February Dragon” co-authored with Lisa Hannett.
- 2012 Aurealis Award for Best Collection: Midnight and Moonshine.
- 2011 World Fantasy Award for Best Collection: Sourdough and Other Stories.
- 2011 Australian Shadows Award for Long Fiction: The Girl With No Hands and Other Tales.
- 2011 Australian Shadows Award for Short Fiction: “Brisneyland by Night”.
- 2010 Aurealis Award for Best Collection: Sourdough and Other Stories.
- 2010 Aurealis Award for Best Fantasy Short Story: “Sister, Sister”.
- 2009 Aurealis Award for Best Fantasy Short Story: “Words”.
- 2008 Aurealis Award for Best Fantasy Short Story: “Dresses, three”.
- 2007 Aurealis Award for Best Fantasy Short Story: “The Angel Wood”.
18 December, 2013 – Dark Wolf’s Fantasy Reviews
August, 2013 – Author Spotlight at Lightspeed Magazine http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/nonfiction/author-spotlight-angela-slatter/
April, 2013 – Author Spotlight at Nightmare Magazine http://www.nightmare-magazine.com/nonfiction/author-spotlight-angela-slatter/
11 March, 2013 – Kate Forsyth http://www.kateforsyth.com.au/kates-blog/interview_angela_slatter-_co-author_of_midnight_moonshine
29 October, 2012 – ABC Radio National, The Drawing Room with Waleed Aly
8 October, 2012 – UQ News http://www.uq.edu.au/news/article/2012/10/fantasy-writer-first-australian-awarded-top-british-prize
6 October, 2012 – Herald Sun
6 October, 2012 – Sky News Australia
5 October, 2012 – ABC News online
5 October, 2012 – QUT News
5 October, 2012 – The Hoopla
24 August, 2012 – COSMOS
29 September, 2011 The Compulsive Reader
3 October, 2010 – The Fringe Magazine
3 September 2010 – Gary Kemble
26 January 2010 – Bibliophile Stalker